Wheat Flour Halwa – Iraqi (Middle Eastern) Vegan dessert
Recipe by: Fahad Alnimah Program Manager, Upwardly Global
- 1 ½ cups wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup almonds or walnuts
- 1 tablespoon cardamom powder
- 1. Mix water and sugar. Boil for 5 minutes, then add cardamom powder. Remove from heat.
- In another pan, heat vegetable oil, then add almonds. Cook until crispy/roasted, then remove almonds from the pan.
- Add wheat flour to oil and mix until color changes to red/brown. Remove from heat.
- Add water/sugar mixture to oil/wheat mixture along with half the almonds and mix slowly until you get a uniform mixture.
- Heat mixture on low or medium heat. Keep stirring to form a uniform mixture, without lumps, and to keep from burning. Once mixture is done, remove from heat, add almonds and let it cool for 5 minutes. Enjoy.